My idea of New and Emerging Technologies was born at one class with Dan, where he showed us some websites.
I thought by myself, wow, these are pretty cool but just way too many. When will I have the time to look at all this stuff?
And if I dont have the time to look at all of them, how do I decide which ones are the most interesting or relevant for me to look at?
This thought, I realised was translatable to almost all the new stuff that is emerging every day. I feel intimidated by this flood, and when I started to talk with people about this I understood that Im not alone, but rather that everybody to a certain extent felt like this. Only people who spent their entire free time on researching and testing would state to be happy with the vastness of products and services offered.
I remembered actually having seen a talk on TED about this very thing and when I looked it up found a number of other talks about the same thing Sheena Iyengar and Barry Schwartz talked directly about the issue of to many choices and how they are rather limiting the people, then opening them up. Dan Gilbert talked about the impossible to realise wish to do exactly the right thing all the times that every human being would hunt after and Carl Honore talked about the stressed, rushed decissions we are making every day and how we should try to encorporate slowness as a part of our every day life.
No comments:
Post a Comment